Monday, September 17, 2012

If Wishes had Wings...


Last week I was sitting and watching TV with my 6 month old son sitting on my lap and very interesting question popped in my mind. 

Will my son be as crazy and passionate about Football as I am? Will he be a Man Utd supporter or a Gooner like my brother? Or will he be a neutral who just enjoys a good game of football like his grand-dad? 

To be honest I do not remember when I started following football as religiously as I do now. I do remember watching the world cup in the early nineties with my Dad on Doordarshan and going bonkers over every goal or foul along with my dad. I remember that cable channel made the English Premier League more accessible and hence started the intense football rivalry between me and my brother. There is still a broken door in our house when Arsenal beat my beloved Red Devils. We repaired it just this year.

My love affair with the Champions league started in 1999. Incidentally that was the year we won the champions league in true Bollywood style. 2 last minute goals in injury time to win the game and propelling Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjær into United folklore. We have gone and won the champions league again by beating Chelsea in Moscow but the 1999 is still my favorite. Another exciting final was one involving Liverpool Vs AC Milan where Steven Gerrard brought them back into the game after trailing 3-0 after first half. Of late most final are either one sided or boring. This years final was no fun to watch as Chelsea killed the game by hanging on to their dear life but they still won. Thats football for you.


The beautiful game as it is called my many is the true global sport and it is also the great leveler. The Red Devils have had their highs and their fare share of lows as well. The most recent being losing the EPL crown to the noisy neighbors on the final day of the league. 


Coming back to my initial thought of will my son also share the same passion for football as me. The initial sign looks good. He loves the Airtel add about sending Kids to Manchester United Soccer School. But the he also loves the Dairy Milk Ad "Kiss Me". He loved to sit and watch the Euro 12 highlights in the mornings with me. I know it is too soon to be sure but being a true optimist I can only wish for the best.


If wishes had wings, then they will all make it to Heaven and we all will be kings.

No comments:

Post a Comment